Saturday, October 3, 2009

Track Blitz

I've got the pleasure of having Miles and Fran Hale down for a few days to help with the layout. We started our track laying blitz this past Thursday and have made great progress. As of this post, we have the upper deck main line in and running from the helix around to the Starkville passenger depot. Here are a few shots of what all has gone on.  

This is a shot of a quick mock up of a farm scene that will be on the upper deck as you exit the helix.  

This is a shot from the end of the upper deck peninsula looking back at the helix.  

Here's a shot of the upper deck wye. The track going through the backdrop will cross over the lift out section and enter the Louisville yard. 

This is a quick mock up of the HWY 182 underpass at Mayhew, MS. This scene will be the first to get scenery. 

Finally, this is a shot of my test locos as they pass the Borden plant in Starkville. More to come soon.

2 comments:

Philip H said...

Good progress. What did you do to weather the bridge - it looks fantastic?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment. I tried a different approach to the weathering on the HWY underpass. Since the bridge beams were a flat surface, I just took a photograph of it. I edited the photo down to the size of the Rix beams, printed it on matte photo paper and glued it on. I then went around the edge and blended it in with some matching paints and powders.

Been a slow layout week...

I've had a slow week working on the layout as I got involved in a few DCC installs on some locomotives. One thing I've learned is DC...