Friday, March 19, 2021

Continuing with bridges

 My immediate plan is to get all bridges on the layout completed this month. Got several more to go.

Here's my next project, the Washington St underpass in Starkville. All but two crossings in Starkville are grade crossings. University Dr is a road overpass that's simply a result of topography. Washington St however could have easily been a grade level crossing but the lowered the road and made it an underpass. This was done many years ago because of switching in the downtown Starkville area. It gave motorists a detour to get around switching activity. Anyway, it's a pic of the bridge. As you can see, it's an interesting combination of steel beams and wooden bents and stringers. This is going to be a fun build.



Notice that clearance sign. I've seen many a Uhaul truck captured by this bridge.



Here, I've started the section with steel beams using Rix Highway Overpass beams glued to a styrene deck.


Working on the double bents.


No comments:

Been a slow layout week...

I've had a slow week working on the layout as I got involved in a few DCC installs on some locomotives. One thing I've learned is DC...