Saturday, August 23, 2008

The concept and design

I've had a dream of building a large HO scale layout for most of my life. I've been restricted by space through the years so my dream had never materialized. I recently designed and built a new home. My design for my home began with a large room for a layout then the rest of the house followed. I was able to get an attic space finished that measures 58' by 20'. I've just recently completed the house so now it's time to fill the train room.

I wanted to model the area I grew up in but wanted to have a few more industries. I also wanted to be able to run any kind of train that I wanted. Originally, I planned on doing a prototypical model of the area in 1975 but decided against it. Instead, I decided to go with a proto-freelance layout so that I could get extra industries and be able to run that BNSF double stack train right behind my IC Panama LTD passenger train.

With my givens and druthers on paper, I set out to design a layout that fit my needs and wants. I came up with a double deck, point-to-point design with the decks connected by a single helix. I then added a couple connecting tracks on each level in order to make two continuous loops. The design I came up with is below.





No comments:

Been a slow layout week...

I've had a slow week working on the layout as I got involved in a few DCC installs on some locomotives. One thing I've learned is DC...