Wednesday, October 8, 2008

THE lower GOLDEN SPIKE!!!!

The lower level main line is COMPLETE!!! I can now run a train around the entire room. 

The golden spike was driven on the lift-up section of the layout which works smoothly but slightly heavy. The heavy part comes in handy though when in the down position by reducing any possible movement from a bump. To ensure that the rails don't move, I screwed some 1" brass screws under the rails on each side of the gap and soldiered the rails to the screws. All is solid and trains run smoothly across. Here two locals meet nose to nose for the Golden Spike Ceremony!!! 

 

I've also done a little work on the Meridian yard. This is a view looking "East" from the Meridian yard. I've freelanced a bit here. You can see the ICG/MidSouth/KSC main coming around the curve in the background. The double track crossing is the NS crossing on the East end of Meridian. The ICG can either cross the NS to enter the Meridian yard or hit the turnout to get onto the NS main around the yard to connect back with the ICG and on to Vicksburg. 

 

This is looking "West" from the NS crossing into Meridian. At the far end of the yard is the lift-up section with a train crossing. My next project is to get the lower level DCC power districts set and get my two boosters wired in. I'm still waiting on track from Micro Engineering so after the DCC wiring, I'm going to tackle the upper deck benchwork. My goal is to have the upper level benchwork in by Christmas.

No comments:

Been a slow layout week...

I've had a slow week working on the layout as I got involved in a few DCC installs on some locomotives. One thing I've learned is DC...