Friday, September 12, 2008

Spanning Tibbee

I've run out of track and am waiting on Micro Engineering to make more. Hope to have some next week so I can finish the lower deck main. In the mean time, I've been working on the bridge across Tibbee Creek. Here is the real deal again for reference. 

 

So far, I've completed construction of the Central Valley 150' Pratt Truss Bridge. As you can see, this bridge kit is a great fit for the prototype. This is actually two Central Valley kits bashed into one. Notice on the South (right) end of the bridge, there is a steel deck approach. I had to use the decking from a second CV kit to build this. I also did a few minor changed to the truss as opposed to what the CV instructions said. Over all, it was a fun kit to build. Now for a little sanding, primer and paint. 

The concrete section on the North (left) end has also been a treat to build. I had planned on scratch building this section until someone saw this blog and pointed me to The Scale Segmental Bridge Co. , www.scalebridge.com . They had a kit that was a dead match for this concrete span and it's been a delight dealing with that company. I have to admit that I've had about the best overall kit building experience with this kit than any other kit I've ever constructed from ordering, company support, packaging and to the actual building of the kit itself. A+ product. You'll see more of their bridges on my layout as I move forward. I'm sure we'll also see some exciting products from them in the future.

1 comment:

Nate said...

I'm happy to hear the cement bridge sections from Scale Segmental Bridge Co. worked for you.

Been a slow layout week...

I've had a slow week working on the layout as I got involved in a few DCC installs on some locomotives. One thing I've learned is DC...