Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Working on Tibbee Bridge

I've been working on building the bridge that will cross Tibbee Creek. It's been a fun project so far. 

Here is a shot of the Central Valley kit almost complete. I've still got a few parts to apply before it hits the paint booth. I went out yesterday to get a paint chip for a good match. Hope to get it painted soon. 

 In the mean time, I'm starting to gather materials to build the wooden approach trestle as seen here. I plan on building it out of scale lumber and am trying to find a good glue to use and a good stain that will match the creosote color of the bents. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A good creosote colored stain is the Jacobean color stain made by Minwax. I use it to stain my ties before handlaying track. Put the wooden parts in the stain and let them float for a few minutes and then spread them out on newspaper to dry. You may also need to push the parts down into the stain with a screen of some type. For my ties, I use an old pantyhose foot closed with a twist tie with the parts inside. A second coat may necessary, depending on your wood density. Minwax products can be found at Home Depot.

Been a slow layout week...

I've had a slow week working on the layout as I got involved in a few DCC installs on some locomotives. One thing I've learned is DC...