Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Lift up section in place


Progress, progress, progress!!!! My original track plan included a helix at both ends of the layout. This would offer continuous run loops over the whole layout. The second helix was going to connect the Meridian yard to the Louisville yard. After getting the first helix in, I realized how much real estate these things eat up. I wanted to keep the middle of the room as open as possible for seating and such. So, back to the drawing board. In order to have continuous run capability, I was going to have to cross a doorway that led into my workshop and attic. I didn't want to cross this but finally decided to instead of the second helix. I toyed with several ideas including lift outs, swing outs, duck unders.....etc. I finally decided to give a lift up a try. I mounted some heavy duty 36" draw slides vertically on 2X4 supports. Now, the section lifts up like a draw bridge. So far, so good but I've yet to lay track across it and run a train. That will determine if I'm successful or not. Here you can see it in the lowered position and the raised position. It's held up by carriage bolts insterted into holes drilled into the 2X4s.  I hope to get some track layed across it soon. I'll report back when that's done and a train crosses...a few times. : ) 


No comments:

Been a slow layout week...

I've had a slow week working on the layout as I got involved in a few DCC installs on some locomotives. One thing I've learned is DC...