Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Backdrop number three!!!

Here goes my third attempt at getting a backdrop material put in that I'm satisfied with. 

This time, I went with 4X8 sheets of 3mm Komatex. Its a sheet made of expanded ABS "foam" sandwiched between to thin sheets of ABS plastic. So far, I really like it. I first put in some extra support on the benchwork. The Komatex is very flexible so I wanted the extra support in hopes that it won't buckle like my Masonite did. After that, I applied liquid nails to all the supports then just stuck the Komatex to it and it stayed. At each joint, I added a 4" wide piece of Komatex to the back of the backdrop glued on with plumbing "all purpose" glue. It holds like a charm. 

I'm going to fill the small gaps at the joints with squadron green putty. I'll post more photos as I clean up the joints and paint. For painting, I'm thinking of renting an airless spray painter. 

Just to get a feel of how smooth it was, I tested it with a backdrop structure. To me, it looked like a good fit. So, for now, Komatex seems like a winner. More photos soon.

3 comments:

Mike Habersack said...

Glad that this is working out for you- I knew it would. This is a product that I never see written about for the modeling world... it is easy to cut, glue, and even takes heat forming well.

Thank you for publishing your experience on this; this may be a start of its use in the hobby.

Philip H. said...

How does this stuff relate to Gatorboard?

ICG2601 said...

Dennis
All your work looks great.Can't wait til your finished.I am looking forward to seeing trains go from one end to the other.I have a question for you What will be the average train length on your layout.Keep it up.
Thanks Blaneep

Been a slow layout week...

I've had a slow week working on the layout as I got involved in a few DCC installs on some locomotives. One thing I've learned is DC...