Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Lots of progress

The last few days have seen a lot of progress on the Aberdeen Sub. I've completed painting the backdrop......I think. 

I'm trying to decide if I want to add clouds and a horizon or just leave it as is. Originally, I had planed on it just being a plain blue but now I'm thinking of feathering in some white haze and maybe adding those clouds. Not sure yet. 

I've also started laying the spline roadbed for the upper deck and have made good progress there. If I work like I did today, I should be able to get about 16' of spline in each day. I'm limited by glue drying time and the number of clamps I have to hold it together but this has worked to my advantage. While the glue is drying, I work on other items then come back to continue on spline, let glue dry and work elsewhere and on and on. 

In doing that today, I was able to get some of my wiring cleaned up and secured, build under-layout shelving for my DCC components, build a pull out desk for a laptop to run DecoderPro and pull all the wiring for a new 110 volt circuit to feed the DCC system.  When I built the house, I had two dedicated switched circuits for the layout room. It turned out that this was not enough power. My layout lighting takes up those two circuits. The new circuit will also be a switched circuit to track power. When complete, I'll be able to hit three lighted switches when I leave the room and know that everything is off. This will be nice to during construction as I can turn on my layout lighting yet have the track dead so I don't have to worry about tools laying across the rail.


No comments:

Been a slow layout week...

I've had a slow week working on the layout as I got involved in a few DCC installs on some locomotives. One thing I've learned is DC...