Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Lots of rain outside = Lots of work on the layout inside!!!

With all the rain we've had lately, it's "forced" me to stay indoors and work on the layout. I've been getting about 6 hours a day in on it and making good progress. The sub-roadbed spline work for the upper deck main is in and planed smooth. Sidings and spurs are next. The spline was made from 1/8" Masonite cut into 7/8" strips then glued together. I got this technique from Joe Fugate and love it. I like how the Masonite automatically forms the transition curves for a smooth flowing base for the track. 

I started working on getting the spline in for the sidings and spurs by taking my track plan and a ruler and just measuring where the switches should go. I decided that I wanted to be a little more accurate than that so I printed part of my track plan at 1:1 scale. This printout turned out to be 20" wide and 500" long. I do CAD work on the side so I was lucky to have a wide format printer. Here you can see the printout as I have it laid out exactly where the track will go. The plan matches up PERFECTLY with my spline I laid by measuring. So, I guess my measurements were accurate enough. I'm going to mark the locations of the switches then begin laying the spline for the sidings and spurs. More photos soon. 

1 comment:

Eric W West said...

I have to compliment you on the patience and skill you have shown in this layout build. It looks like it will be a well built, thought out, great running layout.
I do envy you for the space you have. I only have one area of 12'x 18' and another of 13'x13' to use and try to find a way to connect the 2 together across 2 rooms lol.
But it appears you have overcome your obstacles and it looks great!

Been a slow layout week...

I've had a slow week working on the layout as I got involved in a few DCC installs on some locomotives. One thing I've learned is DC...