Sunday, January 31, 2010

Plaster and plastic

I took my first step into hardshell scenery yesterday with the application of some Woodland Scenics plaster cloth. I'd picked up two rolls of the Woodland Scenics cloth this last week while traveling and wanted to experiment with it. I thought work in this area using the plaster cloth went very quick and smooth for my first attempt but at $8 per roll, I don't think I'll used the WS cloth again. In checking around, I had several people recommend plaster cloth from Jerry's Artorama that's 1/4 the price of the WS. I placed an order for some yesterday and will post results.

After getting the plaster done, I returned to working on my grain bins. I'd gotten an order in the mail from the hobby shop that included needed paint and styrene strips. So, I got the basic roof done and the first coat of paint on. Many have asked how I made the large grain bin. I started with a piece of green 8" PVP pipe and have been coating it with layers of Rix grain bin panels. The Rix panels are a different radius than the PVC pipe so I first soaked the Rix parts in boiling water to soften them up. Then quickly super glued them to the pipe. So far, I like how my first real scratch build is going. Next up is detailing and weathering.

2 comments:

Griff said...

Did someone say weathering? LOL

Looks awesome Dennis!! I am always dropping in to drool over your awesome masterpiece.

I will drop you an email - keep up the great work!

GRIFF said...

A whole month - no updates?! Hope everything is OK and some progress has been made. Talk to you soon - GRIFF

Been a slow layout week...

I've had a slow week working on the layout as I got involved in a few DCC installs on some locomotives. One thing I've learned is DC...