Saturday, January 9, 2010

Three steps forward, one step back......

I'm still making slow, but steady progress on the layout. I didn't make my Christmas deadline for finishing all track work but I got close. Since I didn't make my goal, I thought I'd take a break from track and work on some bridges and structures.
Here is the new and improved Tibbe "T" girder span. The other span broke while putting it in. The crack was small but I knew it was there so it had to go. I now just need to get the track back down on the bridge and I can start scenery on this part of the layout.

 
 
 
This bridge is on the NS just before the KCS crossing at Meridian. I plan on there being a low, wet, swampy area here.
Work has also begun on Crawford grain from the post below. So far, there are two Walther's Big Grain Bins and a Walthers Surge bin in place. Also note the progress on the scratch build of a 60' diameter grain bin from a Rix kit and an 8" PVC pipe. I ran out of Rix parts today. Hope to have more by the end of the week.

And finally, the step back. Back in October, I had a track laying blitz with help coming in for the week. Well, I now have to go back and make some major repairs over all the track we laid in October. We didn't cut in any expansion joints when we laid it so this cold weather seems to have made the track buckle. I'm going to have to go back, make quite a few cuts, re-glue track and add in some feeder wire. Not fun!!!

No comments:

Been a slow layout week...

I've had a slow week working on the layout as I got involved in a few DCC installs on some locomotives. One thing I've learned is DC...