Saturday, August 23, 2008

Laying the iron......

I started the track work as I built the helix. I did the helix track first then started the rest of the layout at the CAGY interchange.
In this photo, the Aberdeen Sub main is the track to the far right. The left three tracks are the Columbus & Greenville tracks at the Prestage Farms mill in West Point. The CAGY interchange is at the top of the photo. The real CAGY with Prestage farms can be seen here: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=pkymn67m8wvf&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=13301879&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1
 
 
This was my first attempt at a bridge on the layout. It's a basic Walthers kit that I thought turned out well. This kit built as it is, is almost a perfect match for the trestles near the Tibbee Creek bridge. The real bridge can be seen here: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=pkr4m47mdmq4&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=13359954&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1
 
This view shows the helix, the Aberdeen sub main exiting the helix and the CAGY reverse loop over the sub main. Of course, in real life, there is no double track main around here nor does the CAGY cross the sub anywhere with a bridge but I liked this idea so that's how I built it.

No comments:

Been a slow layout week...

I've had a slow week working on the layout as I got involved in a few DCC installs on some locomotives. One thing I've learned is DC...