Thursday, March 25, 2021

Another bad weather day so another day in the layout room.....

Had some layout time today so I tackled several projects.

First, I use DecoderPro to program my locos with a laptop through my NCE system. I'd not updated the program since it was first released many years ago and I was running it on an old Windows XP system. So, time for an update. I got the latest version of JRMI installed on a MacBook I don't use much. It wasn't as easy as I'd hoped and I ended up losing my roster of programmed locomotives. So, while working on layout projects, I rotated locomotives onto the programming track to read them into my new roster. It will be an ongoing process as I try to rebuild my complete database of locomotives.

One lesson I learned within the first year of my layout is to NEVER soldier EVERY rail joint. Instead, soldier every other joint and leave a slight gap in the rails in the un-soldiered joints. This allows for expansion in the rails as the benchwork settles and expands with changes in temp and humidity. I soldiered every joint when I laid the rail and leaned the lesson when rails started buckling.

Today, I cut out and repaired a section of buckled rail. The broken rail was cut out, roadbed sanded smooth and the new flex track laid and glued down. I used gray caulk originally but today just used some white glue. It should hold it well enough until I can get ballast down to really hold it.

Also made some progress on the Washing St bridge. Got the basic structure built. Gonna start adding some details. Can't wait to get this one in place



No comments:

Been a slow layout week...

I've had a slow week working on the layout as I got involved in a few DCC installs on some locomotives. One thing I've learned is DC...