Friday, December 30, 2011

Baking dirt.....

As I worked on Crawford Grain, I knew that I was going to have to model the gravel parking lots but I wasn't sure how I was going to do it. I finally figured that the best way to do it would be to use the real thing.

So, I went out along the gravel road that I live on and scooped up some dirt that had washed off the road. I took it home and baked it in the oven for an hour or so to dry it then sifted it. What I ended up with were some very fine particles of crushed gravel about the size of mason sand. It looks perfect.

I then spread a thin layer over the parking lot, wet it and glued it down. When I wet it, it darkened up a bit but I figured it would lighten back up after drying. It didn't. However, it does look EXACTLY like a parking lot with a fresh coat of wet washed gravel that we see in my area. I need to tone it down a bit and make it look like dry, used gravel. I guess that's where weathering comes in!!

I'm now trying to figure out the best technique to tone it down. I'm thinking maybe one or a combination of three ways: 1: Go find some lighter toned dirt, sift it to a power and brush it on,  2: Use some weathering power that's a lighter tone and brush it on, or 3: Some paint either airbrushed on or washed on.

Suggestions?

1 comment:

GRIFF said...

Whatever you do - do not paint brush any paint on!! Airbrush...maybe. I'd try a mix of some lighter tone powders sifted on vs. brushed on. Brushing paint on will make it obvious that you painted it - it acts like a hardshell. Brushing poweders on can make it look fake too - unless you want that streaky/spotty look like soot, grime, etc. I like the idea of sifting the powders over an area then maybe using a big brush to give enough friction to make the powders bind (but you might not need this step since it is a parking lot). I should have baked some dirt for my dirt covered areas....would have looked good in my yard at the GP Paper Mill. I think I am going to follow you Dennis and doing a blog site...we will see. So damn busy with this Thesis....uhg!! ~ GRIFF

Been a slow layout week...

I've had a slow week working on the layout as I got involved in a few DCC installs on some locomotives. One thing I've learned is DC...