Thursday, December 22, 2011

Life comes to the Aberdeen Sub

I jumped head first into scenery today and have the first layers applied to my Southern/ICG crossing area. I'm still waiting on some more materials to come in the mail. Hopefully they will make it tomorrow. I really want to add some more trees to the backdrop area but it's very shallow. Where the lead loco is only has about 4" to the backdrop. As you go further to the left, the tracks get closer to the backdrop until they go through. So, not sure how I'm going to add in more trees to form a dense vegetative wall as you see along the rural right-of-ways down South.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. My name is Trey and I've been following your blog for a year or so, and it's good to see you back at it. I'm modeling the SOU and ICG in the South Mississippi area, but mine is proto-lanced and loosely based on Laurel.

Anyway, what I saw in your post about getting "depth" to your ICG/SOU crossing with vegetation reminded me of what I'm doing on mine. I got a couple of sea sponges from the paint section at Home Depot, and will sponge various shades of green on backdrop, so that it will give the illusion of a forest, with real model trees in front. I don't know if you've thought of that technique, but it's something to consider.

Take care,
Trey

Dennis Daniels said...

Thanks for the note and great idea Trey. I'll hit Wal-Mart today and see if they have any sponges. I might also be able to take a sponge, shape it like a cedar tree and then coat it with ground foam to make cedars.

Do you have a blog or website of your layout? It's great to hear that there are others out there modeling Mississippi. Feel free to email at drail14me@gmail.com

Merry Christmas,

Dennis Daniels

GRIFF said...

Trey has a great idea - and if you can match some scenery foam or "fuzz" to that same sponged on color - you can add a little more depth and definition by adhering some of that scenery material right to your backdrop so that you can keep the look even though you don't have the space.

Been a slow layout week...

I've had a slow week working on the layout as I got involved in a few DCC installs on some locomotives. One thing I've learned is DC...