Tuesday, December 13, 2011

 Well, my first attempt at ballasting track didn't go as well as I'd hoped. I used Woodland Scenics Light Gray ballast. However, when I added the "wet water" then the glue mix, it turned a dark gray. 24 hours later, it's still the same dark color. It also isn't as clean and neat as I'd hoped. I tried to brush the ballast gently off the ties but each time I brushed some off, more jumped back on. Frustrating!
I also decided to experiment with roads. This is my first attempt at a road so it's going to be a learning experience. The prototype is a chip sealed road where they pour hot tar down then spread gray gravel over the tar. I started with a base of "Smooth It". After it dried, I painted on a thin coat of white glue then sprinkled on some light gray fine ballast and rolled it smooth with a roller. I'm leaving it to dry tonight.

No comments:

Been a slow layout week...

I've had a slow week working on the layout as I got involved in a few DCC installs on some locomotives. One thing I've learned is DC...