Sunday, December 25, 2011

Hole in the wall


 I had someone ask about how I was going to hide the hole in the backdrop from the back of my swamp scene below. The answer is, "I don't know and am not sure that I'm going to but I would like to."

This photo is of the scene from a normal operating viewing angle. Since the hole is in the back corner on the lower deck, it's hidden from sight by the upper deck. So, the hole is not an issue in this situation.

However, this second photo shows how the hole looks if you back away from the layout towards the sitting area of the room. From this angle, it's pretty visible. I had planned on it being masked by trees in the swamp area but they trees didn't turn out thick enough.
This third view is of the hole from a stooped viewing angle. This is what my 6 year old sees. Again, I had planned on the trees masking the hole but I don't have enough.

I may add a few more foreground trees to help hide it but in doing so, I will also hide my cypress swamp that is just in front of the hole. So, I might instead should add some more tall cypress trees in the swamp to help hide it.

Any other suggestions?

I also have four other holes to hide. One leads to a hidden staging yard behind the Meridian yard. It will be hidden with an industry building and roll up door. The second leads from West Point through the backdrop to cross the lift bridge. This one will be concealed by trees and an closed industry. The other two will be more difficult to hide. The are on each end of the Artesia yard and both lead to hidden staging tracks behind Artesia. I posted a photo of one in an earlier post here: http://aberdeensub.blogspot.com/2010/03/more-plaster-and-some-rail.html

Not sure how I'll conceal them.


1 comment:

GRIFF said...

Model Railroader had a good article about this same problem recently....the author had some good ideas and fixes. Think it is two issues back.... I say add a little bit of lighting on the other side (dimmer though) and scenic the areas in and around the portal on both sides. This might give you just enough illusion that there is not "hole" - especially in the swamp wher eyou have ample vegetation leading up to the "hole" in the wall. Maybe you could experiment with mirror(s) too - great illusion tool. You would not see the mirror whent he train is going in or out the hole, but yet it would give you depth when no trains are there.

Been a slow layout week...

I've had a slow week working on the layout as I got involved in a few DCC installs on some locomotives. One thing I've learned is DC...